Client
Church of the Advocate
Project
Church of the Advocate
Project Type
Completed
2001
Square Footage
8,800
Construction cost
$2 Million

Kelly/Maiello worked with the Church of the Advocate Pastor, vestry, and building committee

over a five year period in developing a phased Master Plan for renovations and adaptive reuse of its complex of five buildings to serve the Advocate’s mission of providing services to the community.  One of several projects completed in the master plan is the Community Center.

The Paul and Christine Washington Family and Community Center is a new building in the historic Church of the Advocate Complex in North Philadelphia, a national Landmark built in 1887, and modeled after the gothic Amiens Cathedral.  Our solution was both an intervention and invention.  The design integrates the remains of the Chapel ruins into a new building made of modern materials compatible with those of the historic complex.  The Chapel’s old south and west walls were stabilized, but could not take the additional loads.  Our design for the new building inserted a new steel structure in the interior.  Exterior elevations reflect the rhythm and texture of the former Chapel.  At the interior, steel roof trusses and pine wood ceiling evoke the memory of the old hammer beam truss and roof.  The new facility provides office space for community outreach programs, classrooms and a gymnasium.

courtyard
gymoverall c edit1
churchgymheadon c
westwall
inside 4